Excel to PDF
Excel to PDF (xls to pdf) is used to express the conversion from Microsoft® Excel® to a portable document format. Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet program part of the Microsoft Office package, and in order to view an .xls or .xlsx file the recipient would need to have the Microsoft Excel Viewer installed.
This is why sometimes is better to convert the Excel file to a more portable document format, such as the PDF (to view the PDF the recipient would need a PDF viewer like the free Adobe Reader, but that's so popular as it can be found on most computers now). Another advantage of converting the Excel file to PDF is that an excel document is more easy to edit (if not password protected) than a PDF, thus the probability of messing things is higher. Overall, these are the advantages of converting an Excel to a PDF:
- Portability. PDF is much more suitable for documents that need to be sent for reviewing, printing
- Popularity. Adobe Reader is used to open PDF files, and is a document viewer more popular than Microsoft's Excel viewer
- Editing. PDFs are difficult to edit and require advanced tools, thus you can be sure the document you sent won't be altered by mistake
- Size. PDFs are much smaller because they don't include formulas or anything that Excel includes
- Printing quality. PDFs are also recommended for printing purposes, as they reproduce the original document layout perfectly